History of the Institute for Multiple-Sclerosis-Research (IMSF)
The IMSF was founded in January 2004 with the help of the Hertie Foundation. With support from the federal state of Lower Saxony, the Medical faculty of the University of Goettingen reconstructed the second floor of the neuroscientific research complex in Waldweg 33 and founded the Department of Experimental and Clinical Neuroimmunology. Prof. Ralf Gold was appointed director of the department and chairman of the IMSF.
The official opening of the IMSF was celebrated on the 31st of March 2004 in the context of the first awarding of the Helmut Bauer Prize (press release). Prof. Helmut Bauer (* 31st March 1914, † 16th January 2008, see photo to the left) was the director of the Neurological Clinic of the Georg-August University Goettingen from 1963 to 1980 and is regarded as the mentor of German multiple sclerosis research after World War II. The prize is awarded to young scientists every year as a tribute to the great achievements of Prof. Bauer in the treatment and research of multiple sclerosis.
In August 2006, Prof. Gold changed to the St. Joseph’s Hospital in Bochum. After an interim phase under the supervision of Prof. Wolfgang Brück (Director of the Department of Neuropathology at the University of Goettingen), Prof. Alexander Flügel was appointed as chairman of the IMSF and director of the Department of Experimental and Clinical Neuroimmunology in 2008 (Curriculum Vitae). In 2009 the department was renamed to the Institute of Neuroimmunology.
The research at the IMSF and the Institute of Neuroimmunology is focused on the analysis of the pathomechanisms of multiple sclerosis. The aim of our research activities is to promote the development of novel therapeutic approaches for the treatment of multiple sclerosis and to understand the mechanisms underlying the established treatments.